Thursday, July 25, 2013

Matched Book Review

by Karoline Kingley

Note From MV: This is a post by Karoline Kingley, a fantastic writer, blogger, and lover of books. She's going to be contributing to my blog regularly, so I hope you all give her a warm welcome!

I recently read Matched by Ally Condie; the first book in the young adult dystopian trilogy. As someone who struggles to enjoy most modern fiction, I found this book enjoyable and would recommend it to most audiences. Without spoiling any major plot points, I’ll offer a quick synopsis.

The Magic Violinist, Matched, Ally Condie, Book Review

17 year old Cassia is going to find out who her match is. She knows The Society will only give her a spouse who is suitable and worthy, because The Society has never disappointed her before. Cassia is surprised yet thrilled when she learns that her match is her best friend Xander. What more could a girl want? However, after Xander’s face appears on the screen at the Match Banquet, another face flashes on the screen, and then disappears. Cassia recognizes the second face too: Ky Markham. Now Cassia must choose between security and passion, rebellion or safety. Ky or Xander.

From that sneak peek you may think this book is purely romance, but don’t be fooled! Cassia ends up having much bigger problems to solve while the boys in her life are pulling her in different directions. You could compare this book to The Hunger Games due to its totalitarian government and love triangle dilemma. Yet I found the plot unique enough to stand on its own, and after reading the sequel Crossed, I was thoroughly intrigued. One of my qualms with contemporary fiction is that the writing often strikes me as well…lazy. And while on occasion I did squint my eyes at a few sentences and ponder how they might have been written better (that’s just what writers do) overall, the author put in some beautiful metaphors and descriptions that were a real treat to imagine. If you’re looking for something modern and exciting without be too gory or mushy-gushy, I would highly recommend this book.

3/5

About Karoline Kingley:

Karoline Ott's profile photo I'm a 16 year old who enjoys writing, reading and blogging if course! I blog at "As a Teen Writer."

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to The Magic Violinist. I'm looking forward very much to reading more posts from you.

Boquinha said...

Welcome Karoline! Thank you for this review. I knew the basic premise of the book, but I appreciate your insights on the plot and writing - very helpful!

Karoline said...

Thanks guys! I'm glad you all enjoyed it and I can't wait to share more reviews with y'all in the future :)

The Magic Violinist said...

Thanks for being so welcoming! :D

Christine said...

I'm really on the fence about this book. While it sounds good I feel like something is sort of lacking based on your review and other's.