While I read the post, I put mental checkmarks near each suggestion.
- Post frequently. Check. I try to post at least three times each week, sometimes more, sometimes lest.
- Try to post meaningful stuff. Half of a check. Most of the time I try to post stuff I think people will care about, including myself, but I have a weakness for memes. Especially about books. And writing. And Harry Potter.
- Ignore the people who say, “Well, I don’t think you should write about ___.” Check. I haven't had any of those people, luckily.
- Make your blog easy on the eyes. Check. It's colorful and creative---like me--but it's not over the top. I tend to avoid those kinds of blogs.
- Communicate with your readers, and make it easy for them to communicate with you. Check, check, and check! :D I very much encourage comments and--in general--I try to respond to every single one I receive, even if it's a quick, "Thanks for commenting!" or "I'm glad you enjoyed it!"
- Make your blog easy to navigate. Check. I have a search bar, blog post archives, and tags to click on. If you're having problems finding a post, I'm not sure what else to do.
- Vary the content of your posts. Uh . . .
When I first started blogging, I had a ton of variety. (I also had a schedule back then and little blogging experience). I don't want to have a schedule. I like the element of surprise and spontaneity. And I think blog readers do, too, in general. But the downside of not having a schedule is that you can easily fall into a blogging rut.
Recently it seems like I'll I've been blogging about is writing, books, and memes about both things. Sure there might be an interview in between or a quick link to something fun, but usually those things are writing and book related, too. These are both activities I'm passionate about, and I think you should show your passion for those activities, but reading about these things day after day after day can get tiring for people.
Of course I'm not tired of these things, but I'm sure a lot of you are. (Well, I don't know. Are you)?
When I realized all of this, I got an idea. Ding! *Cue lightbulb above head* What if I conducted a survey?
How about it readers? What do you want to hear from me? Maybe a post full of quotes I like? Posts about things I've been up to lately? Pictures I've taken? The choice is yours! :D The fate of my blog is in your hands (so don't mess it up).
Another idea I had to conquer this infernal blogging rut is to ask people to guest post on my blog. If you have an idea--any idea at all--for a post on my blog, send me an e-mail at themagicviolinist(AT)gmail(DOT)com and we can talk it over! :) I hope to get lots of responses from you all!