Thursday, December 10, 2020

I Published My Second Book of Poetry!

 


Ghost light shine, ghost light flicker . . .

An open journal of mixed and complicated emotions, Ghost Light is a reminder that even in the darkest of times, there is art. Written entirely during quarantine in 2020, Kate I. Foley’s second collection of poetry is angry, joyful, wistful, and whimsical. The ghost light burns to keep the demons at bay, to watch over the artists and dreamers and remind us all that we will rebuild and return and fill the air with music once again.



My first book of poetry, Instructions For Flight, was published nearly four years ago and the process was so confusing and exhilarating, I knew I wanted to do it all over again in the future, if only to learn from my experience and do it better the second time around. Quarantine in the wintertime seemed like perfect timing to polish up some poetry and publish another collection. This was a very spur-of-the-moment decision (my family didn't even know I was doing this!) and I spent every free second perfecting the details.


Since Instructions For Flight, I learned how to do several things better:

-Create a prettier, more professional-looking book cover

-Format the interior text to read smoother

-Write more polished poems LOL

-Write a more intriguing book description

-Design 3D mockups like the picture above

-Have all of the nitty-gritty publication details ready to go so I'm not scrambling to write anything at the last minute

-Etc., etc., etc.


Where can I buy Ghost Light and how much is it?

You can buy your ebook copy of Ghost Light by clicking right here, and it's only 99 cents!


What can I do to support you and get the word out about Ghost Light?

-Buy a copy

-Review the book on Goodreads, Amazon, and/or your blog

-Buy copies for friends

-Tell your friends and family about it

-Post about it on social media; I love bookstagrams!

-Contact me if you want to work out an interview, guest blog post, promotional post, etc.

-Let me know what your favorite poem from the collection is; I love hearing from readers!

-Contact me if you want to write a blurb for the collection I can use on graphics and advertising posts; I'll be sure to promote your blog/bookstagram in the process!


Can I read one of the poems for free as a sneak peek?

Absolutely. One of my favorite poems from the collection is called "Captions" and it was written back in the spring as a found poetry exercise for a creative writing class at college. It is composed entirely of captions from photos.

This was probably the most complicated poem for me to write and edit because I had to trim and rearrange the order of the captions just right to create poetry that meant something and was enjoyable to read, but I'm really pleased with how it turned out.




Captions

After testing positive for coronavirus,

when you loved someone, you couldn't hold back.



Carl Goldman in quarantine at a hospital in Nebraska,

body bags and blue bags, piled inside a portable refrigerator storage unit outside the hospital,

I feel the need to say goodbye.



I will never forget the memories made:



Test tubes at Quest Diagnostics,

the nearly empty streets of Camden Town,

the total number of confirmed coronavirus deaths in Britain,

China,

Russia.



An artist’s illustration of a brilliant supernova, the explosive death of a star,

expected to extend its lockdown measures,

weathered multiple crises.



Look back over all the things experienced:



Authorities say it is too early to know.


Purchase your copy of Ghost Light for just 99 cents today! Click HERE.

4 comments:

Boquinha said...

Ordered it today. Read it immediately. Took me longer to figure out the tech issues involved in buying/downloading it than it did to read it . . . mumble grumble. :P I absolutely loved it. What a fun surprise! And what a lovely collection of poetry. Proud of you!

The Magic Violinist said...

@Boquinha

Ha! Ebooks love to be finnicky like that. :P I'm glad you liked it! Thank you! :)

Hannah said...

Congratulations on the new poetry collection! Just bought it and looking forward to giving it a read. :D

The Magic Violinist said...

@Ivy

Thank you so much! :) I really appreciate it!