Wednesday, May 13, 2020

A Simple List of Comforting Things


I love lists. Lists are one of the things that comfort me, especially when I'm stressed out and overwhelmed and don't know where to start when I have a thousand things to do. Since I'm sad more often than not given the current state of our world (I think I'm going on week 10 of self-isolation soon?), I figured I'd share a list of various comforting things that help me find cozy vibes when I'm stressed/sad/anxious/upset. Not only does it help me remember the kinds of things I should turn to when I'm too overwhelmed to come up with anything, but maybe there will be some good reminders for you here too.


-Tea
-Lattes
-Homemade baked goods (cookies, coffee cake, scones, etc. Basically anything that goes well with tea)
-Mac 'n' cheese
-Ramen (Yeah, I know, I'm a stereotypical college student. You can make the ramen fancier by adding a soft boiled egg)
-Reese's cups
-Kettle corn
-Sushi
-Spanakopita
-Tamales
-Milkshakes
-Egg rolls/spring rolls
-S'mores
-Rissóis 
-Egg in a nest

I think just based off how long this section is, the solution to making me happy is giving me food.


-Rereading a favorite book (Usually Harry Potter or some fluffy contemporary)
-Fan-fiction (writing or reading)
-Blogging!
-Drawing (only if it's something simple that I feel like I'm pretty good at or else it stresses me out LOL)
-Latch hook kit
-Writing poetry
-Making graphics (like the ones I use for my blog)
-Getting totally lost in my WIP
-Making Pinterest aesthetic boards for my novels
-Starting a brand new books (writing or reading)
-Walking through bookstores and libraries


-My "happy" playlist
-The playlist Josh made for me
-Making new playlists for my novels
-Singing
-Listening to my favorite Broadway soundtracks
-Taylor Swift
-Dodie
-Going to see a musical
-Rehearsing for/performing a show


-Scruble
-Minecraft
-Wii games (like Mario Kart or Lego Harry Potter)
-Cards Against Humanity
-Jackbox games (I think freshman year got me addicted to Quiplash)



-Harry Potter movies (including Fantastic Beasts)
-Love, Simon
-Wonder Woman
-Castle
-Supernatural
-Doctor Who
-Gilmore Girls
-Bingewatching a new show


-Texting old friends
-Video chatting
-Hugs
-Cuddles
-Dancing (if I'm not too drained to get up and move LOL)


-Cleaning my room
-Reorganizing my desk
-Getting a big homework assignment done (the trick is actually starting it . . .)


-Sending letters
-Baking someone something
-Buying someone their favorite candy
-Coming up with creative gifts


-Dogs, dogs, and dogs
-Cute/funny animal videos
-Fuzzy socks
-Sweatshirts
-Flannel shirts
-Rainbows
-The color yellow
-Cartoon heart icons (I love fun designs on things)
-The beach
-Cozy blankets
-Candles
-Campfires
-Getting packages or letters in the mail
-Sunflowers
-"Themed" packages

What comforts you? Leave a comment!

10 comments:

Boquinha said...

I love your graphics! And I love lists, too!! This is a great blog post for right now. Sometimes when I'm extra sad, I can't even *think* of what I'd like, so a list like this to refer to can be very helpful. I think I could've guessed a lot of these, but it always makes me smile to see them just the same. I love you!

The Magic Violinist said...

@Boquinha

Thank you, they were a lot of fun to make! It was helpful to write these lists over time as I got more ideas because now I can refer to them whenever I need to. I love you too!

Dr. Mark said...

I love your graphics, too! It's fun to see all of things that you find comforting. I've seen you do just about all of these things at some point during this quarantine. It's a pretty good example to me of how to maintain some level of sanity and happiness during a really difficult time. Keep looking back on this when you're having one of those days. The isolation will end eventually. Love you!

The Magic Violinist said...

@Dr. Mark

Thanks! Ha ha, I've definitely done as many of these things as I've been able to do. Maintaining sanity and happiness is more of a struggle now, but having a list to choose from helps. Love you!

Hannah said...

This post is so pretty! I taught myself to make ramen earlier this year and it's now my favourite comfort food. :)

The Magic Violinist said...

@Ivy

Thank you! Ramen has been a big hit when it comes to people's favorite comfort foods. I'm sure homemade is delicious!

Leah @ Quite the Novel Idea said...

Yes to s'mores, tamales, and ramen as comfort items! I love this list.

The Magic Violinist said...

@Leah

Right?? I don't feel like tamales are often someone's comfort food, but they're so good!

Marie @ Drizzle and hurricane Books said...

Oh this list made me smile a whole lot, thank you so much for this. I always need these little happy reminders of the little things that make us smile <3 <3

The Magic Violinist said...

@Marie

Aww, I'm glad it made you smile! We could all use some extra smiles right now. <3