Saturday, December 15, 2018

Briggs Book Tag (Learn all about my personality through books!)

I first saw this tag at "It Starts at Midnight," but it originated here. If you're not familiar with the Myers-Briggs Personality test, check it out here and take it for yourself. It's fascinating, and totally accurate. The questions for the tag are here. Here's my MBTI type:


Yep, that pretty much sums me up. Notice how some of the top careers listed are "artist" and "musician" and my life is consumed by books, writing, and musicals.

On with the tag!

INTROVERT: ( I )

You can be outgoing, but need to recharge with some calming solitude, Where is your favorite place to read & unwind? Why is this little oasis where you choose to go?

When I am absolutely and completely drained for whatever reason, I spend most of my time in my room. It's the coziest place in the house for me. When we moved to the house we're in now, it was the first time I got to completely decorate the room however I wanted, so it has a little bit of everything I love. It's small, but bursting at the seams with color and fandom gear. If you wanted to know what kind of stuff I like, all you'd have to do is step in my room for a few seconds.

Don't let the tiny stack of books fool you; this picture was taken shortly after moving in, so most of my books were still in boxes and unavailable to me. My nightstand has at least six books on it at any given time.
This is what it looks like now. Not pictured: my kindle or Dear Evan Hansen: the Novel, which I'm currently reading.
My collection of Playbills.
My bookshelf, which is obviously way too small to hold all the books in my TBR (which takes up the top two shelves--it doesn't even include the books on my TBR that I don't own).
Trying to take selfies with Scout in my room, but she's not paying any attention. You can see my mismatched curtains in this picture: green and purple!
A friend of mine made this super cool canvas decorations for my graduation. This one has all kinds of musicals and plays written on it in black, but the shows that I've performed in are written in blue so they stand out a little more.
These cutouts have almost given minor heart attacks to every single person who's walked into my room.
My cozy reading nook.
Scout enjoys it, too.
INTUITION: ( N )

Some books are meant to be understood and others are meant to be explored. What book or character stands for an idea that is deeply meaningful to you?

There are a few categories of important issues that I think YA books in particular have been excellent at addressing.

These books are excellent for anyone looking for a little self-esteem. They make you feel so good about being yourself.
These tackle all kinds of areas of racial justice.
I highly recommend all of these for LGBTQ+ teens or those questioning their sexuality.
FEELING: ( F )

Not everything needs to be realistic, where is the fun in a world with limits? Which fantasy world do you find so atmospheric you slip inside and never want to leave? (Put simply a book with good vibes).

This was surprisingly tricky to come up with at first (besides Harry Potter), because a lot of fantasy worlds are terrifying, even if the stories are great. I wouldn't say I would particularly want to live in these worlds, but these books were great escapes and feel warm and cozy to me for different reasons.

No further explanation necessary.
This was also a really cool fantasy world that I remember my twelve-year-old self loving. I'll probably go back and reread it at some point, but it's hard to commit to rereading a series that long when my TBR is already giving me the stink-eye . . .
I read these books during the holidays a couple years ago while it was cold and snowy, so I associate them with cozy winter reads now.
You can't help but love this adorable graphic novel about lovable "villains." It made me giggle so many times.
I don't remember much in particular from this book, but I know that it was definitely beautiful and atmospheric and massively underrated. I hardly ever see any of my blogging friends talk about it, but it was a great retelling.
I love this series to bits and pieces!! *heart eyes emoji* Cress was one of the few books I had available to me when my family moved, so I both tried to savor it and flip the pages as fast as I could because the story was gripping. And I read Winter during the winter over Christmas break. It seems like the feeling of a story stays with me longer when I can remember exactly when and where I read it, which makes the book a little more nostalgic.
PERCEIVING: ( P )

TBRs are fun to construct and meant to be destroyed. Do you stick to the list or mix it up every now and then? What’s a book you’ve put down that you want to pick back up, but just haven’t been in the mood for?

In general, when it's time for me to pick up a new book, I try to stick to something that has been on my TBR list for a long time. But, inevitably, instead of making the list shorter, the books I read are just replaced by new books that are coming out. But I do tend to stick to my list.

If I read something impulsively, it's usually a brand new book from one of my favorite authors (like Rainbow Rowell or Becky Albertalli), or it's for a book club. Or I saw a pretty cover in a bookstore, bought the book, and ignored every other book I was in the middle of reading.


Right now, I've been trying to read Not Even Bones by Rebecca Schaeffer for a couple months now, but I keep getting distracted and find that I'm not in the mood for that kind of story. It's really good and I enjoy it every time I pick it back up, but other books keep grabbing my attention. One of these days I'll finish it.

INFP: The Idealist

Even when conflict runs high you can be the advocate for either side. What is a book that was not well received but you were able to find its good qualities?


I'm going to alienate a lot of my fellow Harry Potter fans by saying this, but I really enjoyed The Cursed Child. I know a lot of people said it felt like bad fan-fiction or it was a money grab or the characters weren't in character whatsoever, but somehow I was able to appreciate both as part of the series and also as something completely separate from the books. Also, I don't think you can full appreciate the story unless you see it. It's a script, so it's meant to be performed, and I loved it so much more on the stage.

So . . . *shrugs* If you don't like it, that's fine, everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I loved it.

Tag, you're it! Steal this for your blog or share in the comments. What's your MBTI type? Do you feel like it accurately sums you up?

7 comments:

Boquinha said...

What a fun post! I was going to skim it at first and come back to it later but I ended up reading the whole thing now and I'm glad. Great book selections and cool-looking collages. Plus, I love seeing pictures of your room in a presentation like that. Fun!

CG @ Paper Fury said...

Aw this is a fun tag! I love the mbti types honestly 😂they're a lot of fun and a great way to develop characters too. I'm an INTJ so I relate massively to the introvert part! I desperately need my time to totally be a silent burrito. And I love having books that I remember reading in certain places or gave me certain feelings. *flails* I remember reading Divergent while camping once. :') Also your yELLOW WALLS. Love!!

Gary Foley said...

Kate, thank you for inviting us into your room. For me, that was the best thing of the post. It told me so much about you; some things I knew. Some I did not. thank you so much, oh granddaughter of mine.

Jimmy said...

Hey I'm guessing your favorite color is yellow--which is the same as my youngest. It's fun walking into a bright yellow room. And you should never have to apologize to other HP fans because you're the best Harry Potter fan I know. As for those personality tests--for me they've changed depending on circumstances. But I'm almost positive I've trended towards more of an introvert as time has passed.

The Magic Violinist said...

@Boquinha

Thank you! It was fun gathering pictures of my room, especially since I realized I hadn't shown it before on my blog. It really is a cozy space.

@Cait

I'm glad I found it! It's one of the more unique book tags I've seen in a while. Yes, I love typing my characters (or sorting them into Hogwarts houses, because I'm a nerd). Aren't those memories so specific and nostalgic? It can totally influence your thoughts about the book, too. I read most of Divergent on a long car ride home from the beach. :)

@Gary

You're welcome! It's definitely changed a lot over the years, too. I've tried to fit as much as I could into a small space.

@Jimmy

Ha ha, what gave you that impression? :P I haven't met many people whose favorite color is yellow, so that's cool! My MBTI type has changed slightly (I think I've taken it three times over the years?), so that makes sense. It's interesting to see how your personality shifts by taking the test later on.

Hannah said...

I'm INFP too! This tag's already on my list, though I'm uncertain of how to go about it. I loved Cursed Child too. You got to see it live?!?

The Magic Violinist said...

@Ivy

Yay, I'm not the only one who liked it, then! xD Yes, I did! I saw it on Broadway for my 18th birthday. Since it had barely moved to New York, I saw most of the original London cast, too. It was AMAZING. Can't wait to see your tag!