Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Fan-fiction, Freaky Dreams, and Fugitives (What Are You Reading Wednesday?)

I'm linking up with Marrisa from "Marissa Writes" for her "What Are You Reading Wednesday?" link-up! It looks super fun and it's really simple. You share what you're reading and talk about it using the five questions Marissa gives. I've almost done it several times, but never posted anything for it. That all changes today. So what am I reading?


Juuuust kidding (sort of). I'm actually only reading three things right now, which is a surprisingly low number for me. Three is kind of my minimum number. If I only read one or two books at a time, I tend to procrastinate reading them at all if I don't really like them. Luckily, I like all three of these books!


1. Why did you decide to pick up this book - cover or content?
 

Content (although who can resist that playful cover?). This one is actually a reread. Lately I've been including well-beloved YA books in the stack on my nightstand, just so I have something fun and familiar to return to if I'm not really in the mood for anything else. Recently I finished rereading Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda that way. I haven't read Fangirl since it first came out in 2013, so I'm looking forward to loving it all over again from an older perspective, especially as a recent fan-fiction lover and soon-to-be college student.

2. Who is your favorite character so far, and why?
 

I'm one chapter in so far, but I already have the feeling it'll be Cath because of how much I'll relate to her as a writer and introvert.

3. Will you finish this one?
 

Yep!

4. Finish the sentence:  This book reminds me of... (other books, movies, TV shows...)
 

The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet if it were set in college, maybe? I'm not sure.

5. What type of read is this one? (slow but interesting, cannot put it down,...)

It's hard to tell one chapter in and I don't really remember, but I'm going to guess that it will be super fluffy and addictive.


1. Why did you decide to pick up this book - cover or content?
 

Content (can't say I'm really a fan of this cover). After enjoying Fun Home, I figured I should pick this one up to complete the picture of what Alison's family was really like. I'm enjoying this one less, only because it's much harder to pick up and dive back into. You have to give this book your undivided attention to take it all in.


2. Who is your favorite character so far, and why?
 

This isn't exactly a "favorite character" sort of book, but I'll go with Alison. I like her and I also feel sorry for her.

3. Will you finish this one?
 

Eventually!

4. Finish the sentence:  This book reminds me of... (other books, movies, TV shows...)
 

There's really nothing like this. It's a one-of-a-kind memoir.

5. What type of read is this one? (slow but interesting, cannot put it down,...)

"Slow, but interesting" is definitely the right descriptor. It's deep. Lots of the psychological analysis is going right over my head, but the parts I do understand are fascinating. There are a lot of sections where Alison analyzes her dreams and it always astounds me how much she can connect them to her real life, down to the tiniest detail.



1. Why did you decide to pick up this book - cover or content?
 

Content (I never like covers that include brooding men staring at me). After reading Cait's glowing review on Goodreads, I picked it up at the library on a whim.

2. Who is your favorite character so far, and why?
 

Monty, even though he drives me crazy. He's such an idiot sometimes, but he can be really charming and hysterical.

3. Will you finish this one?

Absolutely.

4. Finish the sentence:  This book reminds me of... (other books, movies, TV shows...)
 

Ummm . . . Six of Crows if the characters had more morals? Gentleman's Guide is also about a group of fugitives and Monty sort of reminds me of Jesper, who was also one of my favorite characters from the Six of Crows series.

5. What type of read is this one? (slow but interesting, cannot put it down,...)

For a book this big and daunting, it moves pretty fast. I was surprised how quickly I got into it.

What are you reading this Wednesday?

14 comments:

Marissa Writes said...

I love that you are joining in the fun!!! And That we both shared Fangirl today!

I can't wait to hear what you think of the ending... I just finished it...

The Magic Violinist said...

@Marissa

I know! What a coincidence!

Honestly, it's been so many years since I've read it, I completely forget the ending. xD It'll be a surprise to be all over again,

Jimmy said...

The part about the book that deserves your undivided attention--I totally get that. And the older I get, the more that's the case. I remember one of my friends in high school making fun of me because I habitually read two books at a time--one that I kept at school and one at home. But I just don't do that anymore. I wonder if there's a link to that phenomenon with the advent of the internet? Like our attention spans just get shorter and shorter and our ability to focus gets weaker and weaker?

Also, like you, I still like to re-read a good book sometimes. I can still get the same feeling from it. I read Fan Girl. I told you that, right? Not one I've re-read though.

The Magic Violinist said...

@Jimmy

I've wondered about that, too. I forget where I read it, but a while ago there was an article talking about how most people find it easier to focus on a physical book rather than an ebook, and I figured part of that problem was due to the constant stream of push notifications popping up on our screens while we're trying to read.

Rereading is so much fun, but I hardly ever do it! It's really nice to relax with something familiar. I think you did tell me you read Fangirl, too. One of my favorites.

Hannah said...

Me: I need to read The Gentlemen's Guide to Vice and Virtue.
You: It's Six of Crows if the characters had more morals.
Me: I need a copy of The Gentlemen's Guide to Vice and Virtue to magically appear in my lap so that I can consume it immediately.
;)

The Magic Violinist said...

@Ivy

You're welcome. xD I hope you find a copy very soon so you can join in the fun of fangirling with the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

I loved Gentleman's Guide! I know exactly what you mean about Monty, you want to scream at him for being such an idiot but he's just so damn loveable.

The Magic Violinist said...

@jrosewordsmith

I don't think I've talked to anyone who hasn't loved Gentleman's Guide, it's just that good! Monty is such a well-written character for that exact reason. :P

Book Maniac 12 said...

I read Fangirl and loved it, and am currently reading Six of Crows. I found you through The Write Practice, and we seem to share some qualities. (obviously I don't know you, though)
I am also homeschooled (I'm 13) and also an author (or an aspiring one) daydreamer, feminist, klutz and fangirl. I also love the impossible and fantasy books (Including Harry Potter) I get emotional over OTP's (MALEC)but I don't eat sushi because I'm vegan and I only sometimes listen to Taylor Swift, though I have all her albums but Reputation. I love your blog so far and can't wait to read more. Check out my blog (not as amazing as yours...)https://bookmaniac12.blogspot.co.uk/
:)

The Magic Violinist said...

@Sasha

We definitely seem to have a ton in common! :) I hope you enjoy Six of Crows and the sequel. It's a great duology.

Wow, we could be twins if we were the same age! Subscribing to your blog now. I hope you stick around!

Boquinha said...

What a fun post! This would be a fun way to check in on a regular basis. I like it.

"There are a lot of sections where Alison analyzes her dreams and it always astounds me how much she can connect them to her real life, down to the tiniest detail." That's right! I'd forgotten that. I remember that impressing me, too.

"Content (I never like covers that include brooding men staring at me)." Bwahahaha!

The Magic Violinist said...

@Boquinha

Yeah, I'm glad I have a new blog chain I can join once in a while! :)

She does it a lot, but it always connects perfectly. Almost to the point where you wonder if she's forcing the dream to fit her life, but it also seems perfectly legitimate.

Brooding men on covers are a surefire way to get me to run in the opposite direction.

Boquinha said...

So, not a fan of Mr. Darcy?

The Magic Violinist said...

@Boquinha

Meh. :P