Monday, July 10, 2017

Encyclopedia of Me - T



1. Tennant, David

He wasn't my first Doctor, but he's my favorite. To me, he's a classic. He's got that perfect blend of pure curiosity, empathy, eccentric tendencies, humor, passion, pain, rage, and a love of adventure.  I love that he's a total goofball one second and can make me cry the next. A lot of Whovians see the TARDIS as a beacon of hope, but that feeling is multiplied when it's the tenth Doctor inside.

2. Toni

If you're confused as to why Dianna Agron is on the collage for the letter "T," let me clear that up. One of the characters in the "Supernatural" roleplay I'm in is named Toni, and Dianna Agron is her face claim. But the real Toni (the girl who plays her) is one of my best friends. Half the time I'm giggling into my phone, it's because she sent a hysterical text. She's got a great sense of sarcastic humor but also gives great advice and jumps right into action when one of her friends needs to be cheered up. She's a great friend to have.

3. These Broken Stars & Throne of Glass

I love both of these books for different reasons (although something they have in common is that they have freaking awesome covers omg).

These Broken Stars is a light sci-fi survival story that revolves around two characters who despise each other. They get into petty arguments and bicker all the way across a deserted planet. So, of course, they're totally ship-able (it's a word 'cause I just made it up. If Shakespeare can do it, so can I).

Throne of Glass is a more complicated plot with a lot more action, but also has great characters. It's very plot twisty and dramatic and rooted in an extremely well-crafted storyworld. It's like Game of Thrones for teens. It's very addictive.

4. Terrible Things/"Terrible Things"

A couple years ago, I got a request to write a "Supernatural" fan-fiction based on the Mayday Parade song "Terrible Things." Some of my favorite fan-fiction challenges have to do with tying a song into a story, and I had so much fun with this one. It ended up being a fan-fic series, also called Terrible Things, that's now over 20,000 words long, but I love it. I got to do a lot of character development with the reader and Dean, and I made a few fans cry, so that's always a plus. #FandomLife



5. 'Til the Last Star Dies

One of my favorite writing projects was 'Til the Last Star Dies, which is a YA paranormal romance that involves witches and demons and magic and curses and an impending apocalypse. Here's the short pitch for it:

An immortal firstborn witch, Lila, falls for a mortal witch hunter, Melody.  What starts as complicated ends up labyrinthine when the demon Angelique sets her eyes on Lila as the newest addition to her army. And Melody is the perfect bargaining chip.

And the book trailer, which took me hours to make, but was totally worth it.



6. "This Is Us"

This is one of my new favorite shows. Every episode has some sort of plot twist, and since it's told in a non-linear fashion, it makes for all kinds of interesting character developments. Sometimes you see a character in the present day and have no idea how they could possibly end up the way they did, and then you get a flashback to their childhood that explains it. It's super cool. And I love all the characters. I highly recommend it.

7. Tea

My go-to drink for when I'm settling in with a good book, a good TV show, or a good writing session. So pretty much any time of day, I could go for a cup of tea.

8. Time travel

One of my FAVORITE plot devices. It's in "Doctor Who," "Supernatural," "Timeless," "Back to the Future," Harry Potter, and countless other stories. It's especially fun to watch how each story takes it in a different direction in order to deal with all of the contradictions that come with time travel. Will meeting your past or future self affect your timeline? How much will history be changed if you mess with one tiny thing a hundred years ago? It hurts your brain, but in a good way.


9. Taylor Swift

She was my favorite musical artist for several years, and I still love tons of her music. Her later work is especially impressive (like "Safe and Sound," "Wildest Dreams," "You Are In Love," and "Begin Again," to give some examples), but the amount of success she had at a young age was really inspiring to me as a young artist. Every one of her albums is better than the last. I can't wait to see what she does next.

10. "Talking In Your Sleep" by The Civil Wars, "There She Goes" by Sixpence None the Richer, "Toxic" by Melanie Martinez

These are all very alternative songs that I recommend checking out (you can click on the hyperlinks of each song title to listen to them on YouTube). "Talking In Your Sleep" was the theme song for one of the parts of a fan-fiction series I was addicted to. "There She goes" is on the playlist for one of my ships in the "Supernatural" roleplay. I heard "Toxic" when my family first watched "The Voice" and totally fell in love with Melanie Martinez's voice.

Edit: It was brought to my attention after this post was published that I somehow forgot to add TJ to my list! Color me Ashamed™, as he really should've been the most obvious addition. We've only been friends for a little over a year, but it feels like longer. It's been so much fun to geek out over musical theatre, books (I've basically shoved dozens of various YA books into his hands so he'd read them, and he's incredibly patient while I do this), superheroes, and more. He's invited me to two of his school dances, which has been great, because we can both be wallflowers and dorks together with the band kids instead of trying to look "cool" in the middle of the dance floor (trust me, we're having way more fun than anybody there). And I probably would've for real passed out before my theatre audition if he hadn't been both pumping me up and calming me down. All in all, one of my newest and best friends (even when he's talking about how great "The Emoji Movie" is going to be--are you happy, TJ? I mentioned "The Emoji Movie" on my blog and it wasn't over my dead body). Since I can't edit the collage above, here's a nice big picture of us that's one of my favorites.

TJ's right in the middle next to me. This was a great candid shot from my mom.

What would you list for the letter "T?" Leave a comment!

12 comments:

Abigail Lennah said...

I really want to watch This Is Us! NBC has had some good shows lately-- my family tunes into World of Dance. I'm really excited once they release Rise, though, which is based on a drama teacher turning a small town high school theatre department to one of the best in the country. I'm so pumped!!!

xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

The Magic Violinist said...

@Abigail

You definitely should! Oh my gosh, that show looks fantastic. I can't wait to check it out.

CG @ Paper Fury said...

Oh I love this!! Time travel isn't usually my favourite thing but I LOVE how they did it in Supernatural. (Ok maybe I just lvoed it because I love Supernatural.😂) And tea! Tea for sure! I love tea! :D I also would put The Raven Cycle down as my favourite T-starting-letter-with book. <3 And maybe tiramisu...mostly because I just ate it for dinner and CAKE.

The Magic Violinist said...

@Cait

Thanks! :) My family's been doing these posts for a while and they're always a lot of fun to write.

LOL, "Supernatural" can do just about anything and we'd love it. xD We're such loyal fans.

Why am I not surprised that would be your book choice? ;)

Ooh, tiramisu is great. I'm kind of surprised my brother didn't put that down in his post. He loves it.

Emma said...

I've been meaning to watch Supernatural forever. I just might have to start it soon! And 'Til The Last Star Dies is 1) an awesome title; 2) has an awesome book trailer; and 3) sounds amaaazing!

I love the idea of these posts! It's so unique and a great way to get to know someone!

The Magic Violinist said...

@Abigail

Eee, thanks! I'll have to check that out next time I'm writing a post.

@Emma

Yes, do! There are plenty of episodes to keep you occupied for a long time. ;)

Ahhh, that makes me so happy! I'm working on editing it right now, so I'm trying to keep the love I've had for it even while I'm banging my head against a keyboard.

Hannah said...

I've heard of This is Us, but I haven't watched it.

I love Melanie Martinez's music. :)

The Magic Violinist said...

@Ivy

Ooh, you should definitely watch it!!

Do you have a favorite song by her? I was obsessed with "Dollhouse" for a while.

Siths and Jedis said...

Great post! I should have guessed that Tennant and Taylor Swift would be there! If Taylor Swift isn't your favorite anymore, who is?

The Magic Violinist said...

@Siths and Jedis

Thanks! :) I'm not sure if I can choose one favorite now. I like so many different artists in different genres, it's hard to pick the best.

Boquinha said...

David Tennant is adorable.

Toni is awesome and she has excellent taste, too. Has she seen this sweet tribute to her? It's great.

Holy crap, that song is hella depressing!!

"Here's a nice big picture of us." BWHAHAHAHAHA!

The Magic Violinist said...

@Boquinha

He really is.

Yep, I sent it to her!

Right? :P I knew I had to write something equally as depressing once I got that song request.

I figured you'd like that.