I chose Raven as my character for this month. She is the protagonist of my 2013 NaNoWriMo novel, a dystopian called Flightless Birds.
1. What is their full name and is there a story behind why they got it?
She only has a first name, Raven, which was given to her by the Flock. They found her in the forest as a baby and have sort of raised her since then.
2. How old are they, and when were they born?
16, born on April 11, 2083.
3. Describe their physical appearance.
Short, black-as-coal hair, brown eyes, tanned skin, heart-shaped birthmark on her right shoulder. She's forced to wear raggedy clothes that are several sizes too large.
1. What is their race/nationality/ethnicity?
She never knew her parents, so she's not sure.
2. Do you have a picture of them? If so, include it!
I have three:
|This is the actress I "cast" as Raven, Erica Durance. Though she is much older than Raven--she's 35--she looks young enough to play her.|
|Raven, if she were a fantasy character.|
|This is Raven when she's going through a dark spell.|
3. Describe your character's personality first in one word, and then elaborate with a few sentences.
Loyal. Raven often puts the needs of others before her own and always sticks by her friends, no matter what. This is usually a good thing, but sometimes she lets her fierce need to protect her friends get so out of control that she ends up hurting herself in the process. This is where characters like Liam, Flynn, and Toby help her to stop being so "suicidal" and make her realize that sometimes you have to take care of yourself first.
5. What theme song(s) fit their personality and story arc?
"What You Wanted" by OneRepublic. Like I said above, Raven would do anything to save her friends, even if it means endangering herself.
"Where the Streets Have No Name" by U2. Never once has Raven had a real home. She's always running from place to place, barely surviving in the wilderness, sometimes not even knowing what state she's in.
6. If they were an element (fire, water, earth, air), which one would they be?
Fire. Raven is full of energy and love and deep, strong emotions. She's always on the move, always going somewhere, doing something, saving someone.
7. What is their favourite word?
She has a few: Blue, home, love, family.
8. Who’s one person they really miss? (It could be someone who’s passed away, or someone they’re not close to anymore, or someone who’s moved away.)
Blue, an eight-year-old girl who was a member of the Flock from the time she was a baby. She was like a sister to Raven, but she was killed by an Officer in the dead of night.
9. What sights, sounds, and smells remind them of that person?
The sky, blue waters, baby birds or giggling toddlers. Anything that's innocent and pure reminds Raven of her.
Feel free to answer the questions about your own characters! :)