Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Most Anticipated Books of 2019

Despite the fact that I'm dreadfully behind on 2018 releases, I've already started to add books coming out in 2019 to my TBR list. My overflowing bookshelf is groaning as I type this. Seriously, I've got books from 2014 glaring at me from the shelf where they're collecting dust.



What are you gonna do?

Based on the few books that have already been put on my radar, 2019 is going to be a great year for YA fiction.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38225791-two-can-keep-a-secret

I devoured One of Us Is Lying, so I'm fully expecting to love this one just as much. Of course, those kinds of expectations could be dangerous, as I've been burned before. But I can't really help it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35068618-on-the-come-up



If you haven't heard of The Hate U Give, you've been living under a rock. On the Come Up looks like it'll have a similar style and themes, but I'm mostly curious about the passages of rap lyrics that are going to be included in the book. Not all novelists are lyricists, but Ange Thomas said that she used to be a rapper herself, so I'm betting they'll be good.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36613718-enchant-e

Whenever I see this book, my mind immediately goes to this:




We all know I'm Les Mis trash, so obviously I had to pick up a novel all about the French Revolution, but with MAGIC.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36230905-last-of-her-name

And whenever I see this book, I think:



Just give me any book that's even vaguely inspired by anything having to do with musicals and I'm guaranteed to read it. Jessica Khoury wrote The Forbidden Wish, which was a massively underrated book, so I'm eager to read something else by her. A sci-fi "Anastasia" retelling? Yes, please.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39333677-if-you-re-out-there

Not gonna lie, I came across this book only because Becky Albertalli blurbed it. I didn't even remember what it was about a week later, but I knew I still wanted to read it. It looks like a fun, twisty, social media mystery.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35380157-opposite-of-always

Again, Becky Albertalli (and Angie Thomas) blurbed this. So I went to see what it was all about. It seems to have a "Groundhog Day" aspect to it and maybe some alternate timelines, so I definitely want to see what it's all about.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36192190-small-town-hearts

It's the queer coffee shop romance I didn't know I needed until I saw this. It's bound to be cute and cozy!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40714769-dig

I've read and liked every single other book A.S. King's written, so of course I need to read this one, too. Her books are delightfully strange. This one looks like it'll have a fair amount of suburban family dysfunction in it, which will no doubt be tons of fun to read about.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39725622-the-princess-and-the-fangirl



Geekerella was adorable and, predictably, geeky. I'm all for a fangirl retelling of the Prince and the Pauper. I can totally relate to super fans starting angry campaigns about their favorite characters being killed off.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40170373-the-boy-who-steals-houses

IT'S WRITTEN BY CAIT. NEED I SAY MORE.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39071056-going-off-script

Another geeky novel about fangirls and TV shows! If you haven't read Queens of Geek yet and you're looking for a splash of sunshine in your reading material, you need to pick it up ASAP.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36484081-these-witches-don-t-burn

Queer witches in Salem with all kinds of supernatural happenings! I am here for this! (Also I need it to do some lowkey research, considering I've got some gay witch stories I'm hoping to revise and shop around soon.) And how eye-catching is that cover???

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40864790-pumpkinheads

RAINBOW ROWELL WROTE A GRAPHIC NOVEL. I don't even think I know what it's about? But it's Rainbow Rowell, so you bet I'm gonna read it as soon as it comes out.

What books are you looking forward to in 2019? Have you managed to keep up on 2018 releases or are you just as behind as I am? Leave a comment!

8 comments:

Eleanor @ On the Other Side of Reality said...

The French Revolution and magic! Have you read The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner? It's got those same vibes. I haven't read it yet, but I'm planning on it soon.

I've only read I Crawl Through It, but I really enjoyed it. Are there any other King books you would particularly recommend?

I'm not really a new releases kind of person; I can typically be found in a corner gorging myself on early-2000s fantasy, which is not particularly popular in this part of the blogosphere. BUT! I am really excited for Bloodwitch by Susan Dennard and King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo. And the fifth Blackthorn Key book, whatever it is. It hasn't even been confirmed yet, but I'm pretty sure the last book wasn't the finale, so there's gotta be at least one more.

Eleanor | On the Other Side of Reality

The Magic Violinist said...

@Eleanor

There's another book like that?? I haven't ever heard of it, but I'll check it out!

I really loved Ask the Passengers and Still Life with Tornado by A.S. King. They both have a touch of surrealism, but not nearly as overt as I Crawl Through It.

You're way better about keeping up on series than I am! I've yet to even start Susan Dennard's books, even though they look really good. Have you ever read the Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce? It's a little earlier than early-2000s fantasy, but you still might like it!

Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight said...

I am reading Enchantee now, so fingers crossed that we both enjoy it! Otherwise SO many of these are also on my list- like almost all of them! Last of Her Name looks SO good I hope to start it soon. And Cait's book OMG yes so much neeeeeeed. And I definitely need If You're Out There and Dig, they both sound so good. Hope you enjoy all of these when you get to read them!

The Magic Violinist said...

@Shannon

I hope so, too! There are tons of awesome books coming out soon and it seems like everybody is already talking about them, so I definitely want to read as many as I can so we can all discuss!

Hannah said...

I'm super excited for The Dead Queens Club!It's a high school retelling of Henry VIII and his six wives. <3 I'm going to be disappointed if I don't love it. :')

The Magic Violinist said...

@Ivy

Ahhh, that sounds fantastic! I just read the description for it and it sounds super fun and quirky. You'll have to let me know how you like it!

Boquinha said...

These posts are always fun because you put these on my radar and then when I see them, I recognize them and am all, "Hey! That's supposed to be good!"

Also, Cait's book! Eek! So exciting!

The Magic Violinist said...

@Boquinha

Most of these books were put on my radar by other blogger friends, so we're all learning from each other! I'm super excited for Cait's book!